Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Tombstone Tuesday - October 29, 2013 - Hiram Best




Hiram Best was the son of Coonrad and Catherine (Louks) Best. He was born on January 30, 1830. He died July 25, 1904. He is buried in the Best Cemetery in the County of Elgin, Ontario, Canada.



This week I received a surprise email from a man named Steven Zronik from London, Ontario. He told me that he had a photo in his collection of old photos of Hiram Best. Hiram is the brother of my GGGGrandfather, John L Best. He sent it to me this week. He found my family tree which included Hiram Best on Ancestry.com.  He sent me an email thru ancestry.com requesting my email so he could share this photo with me.  The first photo is cropped from the original photo of Hiram and his wife Alice but is a nice close up of an aging Hiram Best.

Hiram Best - 1830-1904

 
The original photo was found in an Antique store in Canada.  On the back of the photo, someone had had clearly written  “Hiram Best and Mrs Hiram Best- Hiram died 1904”. This appears to be a turn of the century photo, but it could be as early as the 1890's. During this time period he was married to Alice Thomas. His first wife Agnes died in 1874.  This photo is likely not that old.  Alice was 23 years younger than Hiram.  I would say that with his gray beard and her still dark hair I am conluding that she is quite a number of years younger than he is.  Alice was his wife listed on his death certificate. So with all this as evidence, I am assuming that Alice Thomas Best is the woman in the photo with him.  She was born in Australia in 1853. She died in 1936 and is buried with Hiram in the Best Cemetery.


Alice (Thomas) and Hiram Best

 Happy Hunting,

Jan







                                                             





No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like me to respond to you, please include your email address. Thanks I hope you enjoy!