Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Tombstone Tuesday – November 4, 2013 – Coonrad and Catherine Best and their Children



Today we will show you tombstones from the Best Cemetery in Ontario. We will focus on the children born to Coonrad and Catherine Best.   They had 5 children ; Casper (1797),  Coonrad  and Fredrick (twin brothers - 1799), George (1803) and Elizabeth (1805). It is known that Casper, Coonrad and Fredrick were born in Prussia or what is today, Germany.
.

Casper Best

Casper Best was the oldest of Coonrad and Catherine children. He was married to Mary Crane in 1832.  They had 8 children.
As you can see Casper's stone has been over taken by grass.  If I ever get there in the future, I'll clean this off so that the whole stone face is visible.  In the Transcripts of this cemetery, there is a listing for the wife of Casper.  She died in 1864













Coonrad &Catherine Best

Coonrad Best  died in 1861 in Ontario, Canada. Coonrad married Catherine Louks who was born in Vermont. They had 8 children: Sarah Ann(1824), Miriam(1826), John L(1828), Hiram(1830), Thomas(1834), Catherine(1836), William E.(1839) and Caroline(1842).
 I am a descendant of John L Best.





This photo is hard to read but it was entered in a Cemetery listing for the Best Cemetery which I found on Ancestry.com. This is a clearly legible photo of this stone taken in 1941 which can be found on the at the link listed below;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elginogs/3122880683/

 
Fredrick Best
 These three photos are of Fredrick's grave and his wife. Fredrick was Conrad's twin brother.  He married Elizabeth Townbridge on April 4, 1831. They would have 10 children many of who lived their lives in Canada and are buried in this cemetery. 


  
Fredrick Best
Elizabeth Best















George Best


The  last photo of the stone which is listed as George Best is really illegible.  I hope some day to visit this cemetery. When I do, I will do a stone rubbing to ensure that this is George's stone.


I did not find out who Elizabeth Best married so I do not have a stone for her to show today. More research will be required. I do than other Best grave which I will save for another blog.

All the photos and information has been obtained through the Canadian GenWeb Cemetery Project. The photos were taken by Nancy Ross-Hill and the indexed by Marilyn Whiting. Thanks so much to these volunteers who give of their own time. I am so grateful to the people who have helped me to find my Family member who lived a great distance away from me. They enter data and photos into databases which I can look at many miles away. Thanks so much!


Happy Hunting,

Jan


3 comments:

  1. Are you still looking for info for the above mentioned Best family? I will be glad to provide some answers.--George Best--gfbest@shaw.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you still looking for info for the above mentioned Best family? I will be glad to provide some answers.--George Best--gfbest@shaw.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cousin visited Best Cemetery in May 2020 and photographed all the gravestones and uploaded to Find-A-Grave. You can see the photos of the two Caspers gravestones and Casper (the elder)'s wife Mary in the gallery of my Ancestry.ca tree as well as Conrad Best aka Coonrod

    ReplyDelete

If you would like me to respond to you, please include your email address. Thanks I hope you enjoy!