Sunday, February 20, 2011

Norwegian information overload.....

I have been very neglectful of my blog of late. Well, I don’t know how true that is. The truth is I have purposefully not done much research lately because it has been a long time since I have had any really good new information…until the last two weeks. Two weeks ago, I decided for the heck of it to post a massage on a message board on Rootsweb.com. I was looking around the message boards and found that there was a board for Tjome, Norway. Tjome Norway is where my Grandfather was born and his father before him. I actually have learned quite q bit these last couple of weeks…so much that I have a bit of a headache as a result of trying to absorb all the information.

On rootsweb.com, my post was fairly generic. I told them what I knew….Who my Grandfather was and his brothers.  I told them who his mother and father were.  And once again like so many time before, I got an answer the very next day!  The answer would lead to a series of email from a Norwegian researcher who very generously took the time to look up parish records for me about my family.  This would be the beginning of an unbelievable week!
 
Vivi responded with the Baptism records from the Tjome Church for Anders (my Grandfather) and his brothers, Jakob Hagbart and Haakon Ingvard.  They are the three sons of Han Henrik and Ingeborg Helene Andersen.  They would also provide me with the death record of Ingeborg Helene who died of TB when Anders was 11 years old.  This event would become a major turning point in my Grandfather’s  life.  Well I guess that is a rather silly statement because losing your mother at a young age would be a “major event” but I can go into that with more detail later.
 
 
This is a photo of the Tjome Church from my Mother and Dad's trip to Norway in 1973.
 

Anders (my Grandfather) is listed on line 40 of this record.
 
They provided me with the marriage record for Hans Henrik and Ingeborg Helene from the parish in Tjome.  Hans Henrik would remarry Mathilde (Seiner) Zainer and they gave me the marriage record for this second marriage also.
 
 
 
Line 16 is Han and Ingeborg’s Marriage record in 1882.
She would provide me with a link to digitized Norwegian records so I could continue with my own research.

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=meldingar&spraak=e

 
 
She also provide me with a photo from a turn of the century post card showing Grimestad, Tjome, Norway which is the location where my family came from.   She pointed me to a link which would show me additional Post card photos of “Farms” as they call them in Norway.  These farms are similar to villages.  As I looked through the post cards online, I was reminded that we had post cards which were similar which my Grandfather had. I asked Vivi who I could share my post cards with.  This question would begin my crazy week!


A post card received by my Grandfather in 1914.

Over the course of the next couple of weeks, I will continue to post how my week became a week of overload!  So until then...Stay tuned!

Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like me to respond to you, please include your email address. Thanks I hope you enjoy!