Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tombstone Tuesday - November 15, 2011

Richard Matthews

Born : November 17, 1929
Died : May 9, 2008


Uncle Dick, as I knew him, was a special man. He always had a smile on his face and if you did not have one too, he would put one on your face in a second. I will never forget the first time he whipped his tooth out at me. He was so good at it that you wondered if you just saw what you thought you saw. He had one tooth on a bridge which he would dislodge and stick it out and suck it back in place in seconds as if he never did anything!

I met him soon after I started dating Gary Tietz. All of Gary’s Uncles were pretty predictable! You never knew who would play the first trick on you but you knew that they would! They were crazy and fun. I think each of the kids wondered, ” what is going happen when I bring my new friend around for the first time?” I was warned before hand and they lived up to the warning!

Uncle Dick loved a good poker game and a cold beer. I have very fond memories of Sunday afternoon card games at Grandma Kaake’s house when all the Aunts and Uncles were in town. I watched them play for years before I joined in the game. I was scared to pieces the first time I played with them. Afraid I did not know enough yet…but as I recall they did not have enough players and the game must go on! They helped me and I had nothing to be afraid of.

Uncle Dick was a special man who was loved by everyone he came in contact with. He was a veteran who served in the Navy during the Korean War.

 Rest in peace Uncle Dick!

Love, Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like me to respond to you, please include your email address. Thanks I hope you enjoy!