Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Tombstone Tuesday – January 24, 2017 - Phoebe Elizabeth Bly



Phoebe Elizabeth Bly was the daughter of William Bly and Mary Elizabeth Blauser. She was born on June 10, 1857. She died of Diphtheria on January 24, 1863 at the tender age of 6. I can not find a stone for her. I can't help but wonder if she is listed on William's stone. I will need to check the next time I am there.

I have so little to say about this young child, it saddens me. This is classically why I write my Tombstone Tuesday's. Everyone, young and old, deserves to be memorialized. Phoebe, had she been born in 1861, just pasted the 1860 census, and died 6 years later in say 1867, her existence would have gone almost totally unnoticed. There could be no public records of her. Someone would have had to obtain this information from a family Bible.  Most counties officially began statewide registration of births and deaths between 1880 and 1920. Occasionally a county started before 1880. There might be a baptism record in a church. Death records and burial records would be the only other record that might be available through a church.  Church records were not as well preserved in America as in other countries.

So I believe that these are my most important posts. Bless you child for the six short years you had on earth. I am certain that you were the sweetest child and your parents were blessed to have had the six years with you that they had. Know that you are remembered, Phoebe. 


Rest in Peace,

Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like me to respond to you, please include your email address. Thanks I hope you enjoy!