Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday - June 22, 2010

For the next few weeks there will be mores Smith’s from Smith Cemetery. This stone is for Mary Ann, wife of Joseph Smith. The stone is difficult to read. I believe that the years is 185? but it could have been earlier. Cleaning the sod away from this stone will help us to determine what the dates are on it I hope.

The next time we go to the cemetery, I plan to take some tools so I can clean up some of these gravesites and we will be able to get more information about this family. Searching through the 1850 census data does not help me find Joseph and MaryAnn. There was a Joseph listed in Jasper County who may have been a brother to James. He was born in 1797. I can not be certain at this point where he is buried. There are empty spaces between grave stones at the Smith cemetery which tells me that stones have either been moved, broken, buried under sod or just carted off.


There is a Joseph in Fowler, Indiana listed in the 1860 census. He was most likely a son of James Smith but I can not be certain just yet. I will continue the research this family to try to help sort the "haystack" out.

The second photo is a tombstone for Josephene Smith who was the daughter of Joseph and Mary Ann. We should be able to clean this stone up too and get more information from it.

More Smith's from Benton County to follow!

Have a great Tuesday!

Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like me to respond to you, please include your email address. Thanks I hope you enjoy!