Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday - March 16, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday – March 16, 2010

It’s March and I am getting restless for some cemetery time…Been cooped up all winter with snow on the ground and bitter cold. Last week was the first 60 degree day and it looks like we might get a couple more this week so I think I NEED to take a cemetery trip this week…wonder where I should go?

This was my last cemetery trip last fall. Orvis - Sanborn Cemetery is located just inside the Illinois Wisconsin State line on James Road in Northern McHenry County. The Cemetery is situated in Chain of Lakes State park and is protected now. Descandants of the Sanborns or Orvis still take care of this cemetery



There are two John Sanborns buried in this small family cemetery. The center tombstone with the military Star marker is that of John Sanborn who died on Feb. 26, 1866.  The marker is a Civil War GAR marker which I will need to investigate. If John Sanborn died in 1866 (just after the Civil War)and he was 71 when he died, he could not have served in the Civil War when he was in his 70's... That would have meant he was born in 1795.  Born too late for the Revolutionary War, but he could have served  in the War of 1812. Interesting,  I will have to do some digging.  There is a bit of a write up about this cemetery and the Sanborn family on Findagrave.com. 


 John A Sanborn, XI who died in 1994 at the age of 65. Isn’t that interesting is seems to imply that their have been eleven John A Sanborn’s. I will have to see what I can find about that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like me to respond to you, please include your email address. Thanks I hope you enjoy!