Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Tombstone Tuesday - September 27, 1994 - Elizabeth Jean Kaake Tietz

Elizabeth (Betty) Jean Kaake Tietz

Elizabeth was born on January 27, 1934 in Sandusky, Michigan, the oldest daughter of a set of twins born to Charles and Rose (O'Malley) Kaake . Her twin sister was Patricia Louise. She had three brothers and three sisters; Betty(1934), Pat(1934), Charles(1935), John(1938), Rose Mary(1939), Colin, Sharon.

Betty (as we knew her) married Howard F. Tietz on December 5, 1952. They had five children; Gary Arthur, Patti Lee, David Allen, Amy Lyn, Mark Edward. Betty was my Mother -in-law for 19 years and a forever, wonderful friend.

Howard ran Tietz's Restaurant with his brother, Harold after taking it over from their parents. Betty worked at the Imlay City Bank after her children were all in school before going to work for Doctor Harrington for many years.
Leah Smith and Betty Tietz at my graduation -1973
Betty was a special person though she and I did not always see eye to eye. I have learned that it is often the case with mother-in-laws and daughter-in-laws. She helped me to learn a lot about relationships and how to navigate through the good times and the bad.  Betty had a host of medical aliments through the years but it was Ovarian Cancer that took her life on September 27, 1994. She is buried in the Imlay Township Cemetery in Imlay City, Michigan. She will always hold a special place in my heart. I think of you often, Betty!


Rest in Peace.....Love you,

Jan Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like me to respond to you, please include your email address. Thanks I hope you enjoy!