Thursday, September 5, 2013

Seeing the Smith Family Stone.....



Labor Day weekend, my husband and I planned a short camping trip to Fort Wayne, Indiana. OK, I hear you...Fort Wayne, Indiana??????  Not exactly a location with a huge tourist draw, like Disney World or Universal Studios... BUT if you are a family history buff than you know all about Fort Wayne, Indiana and the Allen County Public Library which has an awesome Genealogy Collection. And if you are even slightly interested in Family history, you owe it to yourself to check it out!  Sometimes I wish I lived closer but if I did...I would be in trouble because I would be there too much!!! We were only there for part of Saturday and that was too short.  The week prior, I had been very busy with work so I was not very well organized.  I usually try to go there with a specific plan for what I want to research but not this time.....

I have been trying to plan a trip to Fort Wayne for over a year.  Last year around Labor Day, Mark Davis reset a grave stone which he had repaired for me. He sent me an email to let me know that the stone had been put back in place.  The stone had a brace on it...He promised he would return in a week or so to remove it.   The stone was broken into several pieces.  As it turned out a piece was missing but he put it all together with what he had and did an amazing job.  A year ago, I wrote a blog about it and Mark Davis.  I meant to get over to Fort Wayne as soon as I could but life and work kept me from getting there to see the finished work.  




The stone is for James and Susanna Smith, and three of their children.  Kisiah age 19, Charles age 23, and Barbary who died as an infant.  James and these three children were fairly early burial in the Nine Mile Cemetery.   Susanna does not appear in burial records from the church and the church has good records so I continue to search for her.

There is so much more to share about our weekend trip to Fort Wayne but that will need to be a different blog so until then...Happy Hunting!

Love,

Jan 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like me to respond to you, please include your email address. Thanks I hope you enjoy!