Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day - June 17, 2012

I have thought an awful lot about my Dad lately. It's probably because of Fathers Day, as it drew near.  We have been doing a lot of " Dad like" things too.  Greg has been working on our walkway.  We have a bridge of sorts which allows people to have easy access to the porch and our most often used side door from our driveway.  He removed the old railing structure and has replaced it with a new one.  I watched him carefully "measure twice and cut once"!  He did a great job and it looks really nice.

Walkway from the driveway
Looking from the yard


























Or maybe it is because our annual Smith camping trip is around the corner and I am looking forward to it.  It was Mom and Dad that planted the seed about camping in our heads and for all of us it seems to have taken hold. Dad would spend time in the winter with maps plotting out where we would go next summer.  Not sure if he planned it then because he needed to put in for vacation...Like we all still do today or if it was his escape from the snow and the winter which was roaring outside.  When I realized that it was that time again, he had already decided where we were going.  He would get out the square card table, unfold the map.  With campground book in hand, he would plan the route.  I am not certain if he would make reservation ahead of time or if it was even needed back then.  His excitement would lead to ours.  He would spend a number of January and February Sunday afternoon planning the summer vacation. It would always prove to be one the best "two weeks"  of the year!


1966 vacation to Washington DC with the Tinknells
  












I will have to ask Clare about Dad's reference to Clare's Gears on the map just east of Elkmont!

Close of the 1966 map






1967 vacation to Expo and Boston.














This is our 1967 trip which included a visit to Expo67 in Montreal, Canada.  I was a bit disappointed before the 1967 trip because we we would be taking it on our own.  I had so much fun on previous trips when we went with other families that I was certain that I would be bored.  As usually we had such a good time.  I believe that it was this trip which included Boston, was the reason that I love history (and family history) as I do today!

So as you can see I have been thinking of Dad.





Happy Fathers Day, Dad!

Love, Jan




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like me to respond to you, please include your email address. Thanks I hope you enjoy!